Adobe AIR is a cross-platform runtime environment for building rich Internet applications using Adobe Flash, Adobe Flex, HTML, or Ajax, that can be deployed as a desktop application.
- Adobe AIR uses the same proven, cost-effective technologies used to build web applications, so development and deployment is rapid and low risk.
- You can use your existing web development resources to create engaging, branded applications that run on all major desktop operating systems.
- Adobe AIR applications support native desktop integration, including clipboard and drag-and-drop support, local file IO, system notification, and more.
- Adobe AIR offers an exciting new way to engage customers with innovative, branded desktop applications, without requiring changes to existing technology, people, or processes.
- By using Adobe AIR as part of your RIA strategy, you can boost productivity, extend your market reach, enhance customer satisfaction, improve customer retention, lower costs, and increase profits.
- The Adobe® AIR™ runtime complements the browser by providing the same application development and deployment benefits while adding desktop integration, local data access, and enhanced branding opportunities.
- Adobe AIR offers integrated support for SQLite database providing easy development of desktop application that run both online & offline. In short, from shopping on eBay to managing music, Adobe AIR means applications that are easier, more powerful, and more fun to use.
AIR currently has four ways of working with data:
- database server via web services
- local XML file
- local SQLite database shipped with AIR
- encrypted local store included with AIR Development environment
Adobe currently provides three ways of developing AIR applications:
- HTML/Ajax, either via Adobe's own Dreamweaver CS4, another HTML editor or a normal text editor in conjunction with the AIR SDK.
- Flex Builder 3
- Flash CS4